Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trying an Art Quilt

OK . . . so I finally decided to try my hand at an art quilt. I saw the premier issue of Art Quilting Studio magazine on the news stand and have been inspired. Although I still get Quilting Arts magazine every other month and keep telling myself to try some of the techniques . . . I finally started. So far, I did a preliminary sketch in PS and here's what I've come up with . . .



After deciding on a finished size of approximately 40" X 55" and doing the sketch I was pleased with the general idea of where I wanted to go with this. Next, I painted the world on a smaller piece of fabric and figured I could applique it in position at a later time and here's what it looks like . . .














Next, I decided that I should start on the angel and made her wings using water soluble stabilizer and layers of tulle with glitter, snips of fabric and angeline fibers sandwiched in between. After that, I painted her face and body parts on a piece of fabric that would serve as the main background. I figure I could applique her dress on after the background has been decided on. I think the angel's face and wings look great so far . . .



















So now I think I have to decide on what to do about the main background and am thinking that I would start with a deep blue at the top and make a gradation into light blue and then to gold at the very bottom. I'm still pondering that idea for now though. I have picked out some fabric for the column piece and should start working on that soon as well.

All in all, I like the way it's coming along and hopefully will seen some real results soon. I'll write again of my progress as soon as I can and have more pictures to show.

Until then . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to tell me what you think. Although I may not get back to you right away . . . please know that I do read every comment and appreciate them very much. Hope to see you again soon!